Complaint Resolution Procedures
1) Referral – Complaints against schools should be referred to the District’s Federal Programs Office:
Rob Hurley, Assistant to the Superintendent
501 Chestnut Street
Birdsboro, PA 19508
2) Notice to School – The Federal Programs Office will notify the school Superintendent and Principal that a complaint has been received. A copy of the complaint will be given to the Superintendent and Principal with directions given for the Principal to respond.
3) Investigation – After receiving the Principal’s response, the Federal Programs Office, along with the Superintendent, will determine whether further investigation is necessary. If necessary, the Federal Programs Director and the Superintendent may do an onsite investigation at the school.
4) Opportunity to Present Evidence – The Federal Programs Director may provide for the complainant and the Principal to present evidence.
5) Report and Recommended Resolution – Once the Federal Programs Director has completed the investigation and the taking of evidence, a report will be prepared with a recommendation for resolving the complaint. The report will give the name of the party bringing the complaint, the nature of the complaint, a summary of the investigation, the recommended resolution and the reasons for the recommendation. Copies of the report will be issued to all parties involved. The recommended resolution will become effective upon the issuance of the report.
6) Follow up – The Federal Programs Director and the Superintendent will ensure that the resolution of the complaint is implemented.
7) Time Limit – The period between the Federal Programs Director receiving the complaint and resolution of the complaint shall not exceed sixty (60) calendar days.
8) Right to Appeal – Either party may appeal the final resolution to the Department of Education. Appeals should be addressed as follows:
Division of Federal Programs
Pennsylvania Department of Education
333 Market Street, 7th Floor
Harrisburg, PA 17126‐0333