It is important for your child to know that not everyone who is online is a “friend”. Regularly talk to your children about using digital devices wisley. Develop a safe technology plan with your child:
- How to create appropriate posts for social networking sites.
- On social media, only “friend” people you have met in person.
- How to handle cyberbullying or inappropriate texting.
- What to do when they see inappropriate behavior or images.
- What information is or is not appropriate to share online.
- Remind your child that words and pictures posted online can last forever.
- What is posted by your child is how they are seen in the world, not just now, but when they are an adult looking for a job.
- Why parents need to set safety standards and access digital devices.
- Netfilters can be useful, but remember older children can often find ways around them.
Consider some of the following standards for the family, and set guidelines together. Have a discussion with your children about:
- Limiting internet access.
- Limiting online contacts to family and close friends (people they have met in person).
- Establishing times and time limits for technology use. There are apps for this!
- Setting a regular time each day when the family “unplugs”.
- Establishing technology-free zones in certain areas of the home.
- Setting up a family recharging station where children plug in digital devices each night at bedtime.
- Blocking inappropriate or unsafe applications. There are apps for this!
- Following each other on social media platforms.